For over 200 years, Scarborough grew from a collection of small rural villages into a great city with a diverse cultural community. Scarborough is a popular area for new immigrants in Canada to reside and is known to be one of the most multicultural regions of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Scarborough is a district within Toronto, and there are countless tourist destinations in Toronto, but where I am from we have one destination that is well known to be one of Toronto’s most popular natural landmarks, the Scarborough Bluffs.
What is the “Scarborough Bluffs” and where is it located?
View of Lake Ontario at the Scarborough Bluffs
The Scarborough Bluffs is located along the shoreline of Lake Ontario in Scarborough, Ontario. For exact directions, click here. The eroding white sand cliffs offer breathtaking views of sunrises, sunsets, moon rises, and shooting stars and is awaited by many on warm summer evenings. Originally, the Scarborough Bluffs was owned by the borough of Scarborough, but is now under the City of Toronto. Bluffer’s Park refers to the waterfront park at the base of the Scarborough Bluffs. There are different parts of the Bluffs, which are the marina, the beach area, and the park.
Bluffer’s Park is the ideal place for swimming and relaxation
This destination is open to people of all ages all year round and is great for time with family and friends. The Bluffs features a sandy beach, picnic areas, and trails for walking. The beach is great for swimming, especially on hot summer days. If swimming is not your thing, don’t worry, there are so many more activities that you can do at the Bluffs. The various activities that can be done at Bluffer’s Park are swimming, volleyball, water sports, picnicking, boating, walking on trails, and jogging. All activities onsite are FREE! These activities are usually done in the summer because of the warm weather, but walking and jogging can also be done in the spring and the fall. Due to the accessibility and features of the Bluffs, it is an ideal destination to do all of these various activities that all ages enjoy.
View of the Scarborough Bluffs cliffs on a cloudy day
Now, almost all tourist destinations have a few fascinating facts, myths, or legends that make the place a little more..interesting.
- The Scarborough Bluffs consists of many other parks, such as Rosetta McClain Gardens and Cathedral Bluffs Park. Several parks in one area, isn’t that cool?
- The erosion of the Scarborough Bluffs created the Toronto Islands, such as Centre Island. In the past, the First Nations used the sandy platform for hunting, fishing, and relaxation. The sandbar only became an island when the connection to the land was cut off in 1854.
- The Scarborough Bluffs was named after Scarborough, England by the wife of John Simcoe, the first lieutenant governor of Upper Canada. From there, the area expanded to be an accessible recreational area for local residents and is visited by many tourists annually.
- The Scarborough Bluffs are 300ft high, which is equivalent to 25 storeys!
- The Scarborough Bluffs has been eroding at a rapid rate since the 1940’s and has alerted the city to create a multimillion project to prevent further erosion. For now, the cliffs are stable and hopefully in the future, this great landscape can be seen by many more people!
And now..the scary myths..
- There is a shrine on the road down to the Bluffs and it has been said that the ghost of a little girl comes out of the small wooded area around the shrine when someone stands near it. The ghost does not seem to pay attention to anyone, but is described to be very happy, playing, and laughing.
- Not only that, a young woman has been seen walking on the road down leading to the Bluffs and appears on the side watching cars drive by. She also has been seen in multiple locations.
Creepy! Do you believe that these myths are true?
My little secrets..
The absolute best times to visit Bluffer’s Park are summer afternoons on weekdays if you’re free, but weekends work too if you don’t mind the large amount of people, and the evenings as well around 8PM to catch the sunset and take pictures of the stunning view. Given that the park is open all year round, it is best to visit in the summer in my opinion. If the beach area is too busy, there is the park area on the other side or you can relax at the marina and grab a snack at the restaurant.
Taken 2 years ago, a view of Bluffer’s Marina where Bluffer’s restaurant is also located.
If you are going to have a picnic, I suggest arriving early on the day of to get the best picnic spot with picnic tables and a BBQ. If you are not bringing any snacks, there is a restaurant called Bluffer’s Restaurant with a variety of meals that match what you’re craving for. The restaurant offers delicious appetizers, seafood, chicken, steak, and pasta dishes. The choice is up to you! Special events can also be held here since they have a banquet hall for rent.
Planning to have a picnic instead? Bluffer’s Park is the right place!
If travelling by car, the parking rates vary throughout the day on weekdays and weekends. In the late evenings,the parking is free. Don’t worry because the parking rates aren’t pricey.
The view is also great for taking artsy photos
Growing up in Toronto, I have visited many tourist spots such as the CN Tower, but nothing compares to the view of such a beautiful natural landmark, the Scarborough Bluffs. Since I was a child, I have visited the Bluffs countless times and I still love going there. My favourite things to do there are picnicking, swimming, and playing sports like badminton and volleyball. I love swimming so almost every time I’m there, I go swimming with friends or my cousins. After, in the evening I take a walk through different trails and see the wildlife including birds.
My most recent visit was only a couple weeks ago. I wanted to go for a walk in the evening so I went around 8PM just in time to watch the sunset. I felt joy as I embraced the natural beauty of the scene. Not everyone gets to enjoy the view of the natural landmark so I am grateful to be living in an area where it is accessible for me to visit more often.
I enjoy visiting Bluffer’s Park since it offers a wide variety of activities so there is always something to do! It allows visitors to enjoy the outdoors and to embrace nature. Check your calendars now to see when you’re free and plan your visit to the Scarborough Bluffs! If you’re reading this, visit the Scarborough Bluffs..I promise you it is worth your time and you will not regret it!
When you’re in the Toronto area, take a trip to the east end in Scarborough and visit the Scarborough Bluffs!
Until next time,
-Ranielle, Miss Teenage Scarborough 2016
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA